Monday, May 27, 2013

GRATEFUL FOR THE BOOK THAT I READ

I am grateful to the Almighty because I read a wonderful book called, THE WORLD WE FOUND by THRITY UMRIGAR.

Although the novel was about a group of Indian women, one of the characters reminded me of myself and allowed me to understand myself a lot better.

Her name was Nishta and she was a Hindu.  She fell in love with a Muslim named Iqbal.  They fell in love in college and although their religions were different, they wanted to make a statement for the world.  Her parents disowned her.  His parents disliked her.  After the Riots of 1993, the became a Fundamentalist Muslim.  He made her convert.  She did it.  He made her wear a burka.  She did it.  He left his job in the bank without consulting her and went to work for his uncle.  He borrowed money from his brother and in exchange, gave Nishta, who had to even change her given name, the mother to cook and clean for.  He had a vascectomy after she had the miscarriage.

And throughout all this, she stayed.  Until she wanted to go to America with her friends to visit a dying friend.   And then he hit her.  Nishta now feels that the illusion of a marriage is completely gone.

Isn't that what happened to me???  I like the word illusion.  It is so much better than dreams. After what he did to me on July 31, 2012, the illusion of this marriage is gone and I am much better for it.

I am grateful to the Almighty for sending me this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment